Date: 7/16/17 10:37 pm
From: Austin Young <austinyoung234...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Alder flycatcher-big wood river [2 Attachments]
This morning I believed that I may have had a singing Alder Flycatcher
south of Magic Reservoir. I saw the bird but could only tell it was a
"Triall's Flycatcher". However, after researching and analyzing my
somewhat-decent recordings, I have concluded that it is a specific Willow
Flycatcher call of which before today I never knew this call existed! Let
me explain with media.

*To listen to the attached recordings, you need to turn the volume WAY UP,
because my microphone wasn't great. It also produced white noise so please
disregard that, unfortunately I cannot say that it was just a nearby
waterfall.*

Primary reference:

http://www.appliedbioacoustics.com//Empidonaxaln…/bird.html
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.appliedbioacoustics.com%2FRepertoires%2FPasseriformes%2FTyrannidae%2FEmpidonaxalnorum%2Fbird.html&h=ATNqhW7GsLMwCccNgo6zWsEaHEe4ycrJ2H_AO8VVISPbJAhXR8E58ehRCrqeTbJ_CqKam6LfnAsYl2OoNVOPxIwIkuZlaAf2YmFmVVQOqoAglrGtpBvl36Yby2AgkuK6rxl3lXR6k8xjK7Jp-MxhcLmq&enc=AZMJPQHJG93elr_vsoL96BOQgwmw5iXs8CUCtVSis8lMnaat2g32tHpL6VT0AzUGngku7G958hifmJaP43Hb-vU0IS5mQ-cU0BEdvIRxl8UT8SYq2Cupii0FSmcBMGuURdpfXvAT9oydk2IjuO2_kedaxg0J8DGnYra3XqcrnsBGmYsuQOVW2jRKRE0t02_ansQ&s=1>

The spectrogram below is from my recordings, unfortunately the bird was a
little too distant for my mic to get a good sound. Anyway, this is the
recording of the flycatcher call. Pitch is measured on the left (y-axis)
and time is measured on the top (x-axis). NOTE: The pitch of the barely
visible second note, occurring slightly before 0.85 seconds, is lower than
the first portion of the call, which occurs before-at-and-after 0.70
seconds.

The below photo is a screenshot from the referenced source. This is a
direct comparison of the Willow Flycatcher (left) vocalization I heard
today and the very similar, but different, vocalization of the Alder
Flycatcher (right). On the website you can click on the spectrograms and
listen to the recording that is depicted. NOTE: In Willow Flycatcher, the
second half of the call is lower than the first (as shown in my spectrogram).
However, in Alder Flycatcher the second half is higher in pitch than the
first half, which is not shown in my spectrogram.

Please email me with any questions or comments!

Austin Young

Twin Falls, ID

--
Austin Young