Date: 7/16/17 1:56 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [COBOL] some details, future ECAS Wednesday trip to Steens etc
People have asked already, so I am putting out some details. This is a 3
day trip. Most will camp, hopefully at Page Springs for 2 nights. We
will try to get a large group campsite so we can do meals together etc.
Page springs has potable water, pit toilets, trash pick up, and fire
pits in the campground. Tents and motor homes/campers can all stay at
Page Springs. In general, our birding will mostly be around the south
part of the Malheur refuge and Steens Mountain. It will be beautiful
with the aspen colors in the canyons and a few lingering wildflowers.
Last year around the same date, we had Broad-winged Hawk, Gray-crowned
Rosy Finches ( hope for BLACK this time) and we can look again for
unusual warblers in the midst of migration. Depending on whether time
allows it, we can venture south to Fields and hike up 1 or 2 of the
canyons. This can be an ideal time to visit Malheur, with fewer
mosquitoes and pleasant daytime temps and cool, crisp nights. For
anyone who wants to join the trip but doesn't want to camp, jump quickly
on reserving space for Wednesday and Thursday nights at Frenchglen Hotel
or one of the "cabins" at Steens Mountain Resort. Both are just a few
minutes drive from Page Springs but accommodations fill quickly so don't
delay. Trip will have an early start on Wednesday a.m. and return home
Friday evening.

Let me know if you have questions. Judy Meredith, <jmeredit...>