Date: 7/16/17 8:55 am
From: nic korte <nkorte1...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Calliope Hummingbird, Mesa County, near Collbran
I had an adult male Calliope Hummingbird at my feeders at 8300ft above Collbran yesterday. According to my records, the last adult male I had up there was in 2004.

The hummingbird show was very striking as I had up to 5 male Rufous in view at once, as well as up to three each adult male Black-chinned and Broad-tailed Hummingbirds.

Historically, at this location, I estimate the hummingbird ratio in July as ~10-2 of BTHUs to others with 1 or 2 RUFU and an occasional Black-chinned sneaking in.

The ratio this year is more like 6:5:3 of BCHU:BTHU:RUHU. We have lost most of our forest canopy to Sudden Aspen Decline so have more open meadow. Time will tell whether this is a short-term change or an example of climatic shift.

Nic Korte

Join us on Facebook!