Date: 7/16/17 8:17 am
From: Robert Jacobs <robertbjacobs...>
Subject: Re: Reporting accurately on eBird
Hi Dave and MOBirders,

Bird observation data from years ago are extremely valuable, probably more
than many eBird users know and even eBird reviewers have thought about
enough to formulate a good response to folks like Dave Starrett. Dave, I
have met you a couple of times and haven't welcomed you properly as you
moved from Cape Girardeau to Columbia. I hope we can do some more birding
together. Bill Eddleman told me about your move before it happened. Welcome
and thanks for your eBird efforts.

I don't intend to throw anyone under the train because they "rejected" my
checklist or just one of my observation. In fact, rejected is a word that
is not used in the eBird review process. (
http://help.ebird.org/customer/en/portal/articles/1055676-understanding-the-ebird-review-and-data-quality-process?b_id=1928)
The eBird help button has an answer for just about any question that might
think of. As records are flagged (you know you have been flagged if you
can't get your app to send the checklist until you do something) and the
checklist submitted, the flagged species will be seen on a separate list
for the eBird reviewers and are marked "not-valid" or unreviewed" on the
spreadsheet of flagged data records.Once a reviewer acts on the record it
will will be considered reviewed. Reviewers can make the record as
confirmed or unconfirmed. Unconfirmed may mean they will send an email to
the observe with additional questions.

Reviewers have access to the filters of which there are 20 plus in Missouri
and will likely be more information is supplied by observers. The comment
sections by each flagged species is the observer's opportunity to help the
reviewers with local information that is more accurate than the initial
filter setting. This spring was a nightmare with shorebirds and ducks in
abundance. I hope that some of the filters will reflect the new abundances
for the Boone County filter. Yes, Boone County has its own filter and we
all need to help the reviewers set it to the right level. A number of
species will be set at Zero (0) as there is a need to learn more about the
species, it may be a hard to identify species or just a casual visitor to
the county.

With entering data from another person who has deceased, the eBird
requirement of being able to speak to the observer kicks in. If the data
were entered as traveling or stationary it wouldn't matter, without a live
observer to talk to, one needs to enter data under Historical. Historical
data often is missing some of the other requirements such as starting time,
duration, and/or area or miles covered.

This URL will lead you to the Help files that talk more about entering
historic data.
http://help.ebird.org/customer/en/portal/articles/973960-entering-historic-data

Historical data is extremely valuable and should be enter in a way that
everyone know how to use it. I have been given a pile of field notes from
several eastern Missouri counties from the 30s and 40s that I hope someone
can enter. I still have many boxes of data from three continents that I
need to enter. Fortunately I kept a journal that has most of the
information needed for traveling or stationary and I am still around. But,
I will have to enter under Historical for those data that are lacking all
the required data such as duration, area or miles surveyed. It is very easy
to change each checklist to Historical by going to My Checklists and
clicking on the Edit Date and Effort and change to Historical.

At no point in time are the data that you enter rejected or deleted by
eBird. Your data will always be accessible by your self. and you can make
it available to someone if you want. Data that the reviewers consider
invalid will not go into the science database but will always be in your
personal checklists.

I hope this helps a little to get the cogs moving toward making the
observer-reviewer interface work more smoothly. Having been a reviewer many
years ago with the Great Backyard Bird Count. It was a massive job and
often meant checking every record for house and purple finch errors, Pine
Siskins and female purple finches, and many, many common mistakes made
especially by birders in their first few years of observation.

Take photos help immensely in getting a record through the review process,
especially when know one know your skill levels. I birded for three years
in Arizona and submitted records for one of the statewide birding club
newsletters. I don't think I ever saw one of my records appear in the
newsletter until after I got a call one day asking me to lead a field trip
in my area, which was remote from much of the rest of Arizona. It was a
great time for me being able to meet about 25 of the top birders in the
state that needed some new lifers that I had been reporting over the the
three years. Fortunately, I was able to get four lifers within a half a
square mile for most of the the people on the field trip. Harris's Sparrow,
Black-capped Chickadee, Northern Shrike and American Tree Sparrow.

The next issue began posting the records I and a few others were
submitting. I need to start entering my data from NE Arizona. But first I
will figure out how to contact the reviewer for that region, Eric Hough,
who apparently lives in western Missouri now.

Brad Jacobs

ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

Join us on Facebook!