Date: 7/15/17 10:25 pm
From: David Irons <LLSDIRONS...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Stymied by a Sparrow
This Chipping Sparrow has a remarkably strong malar mark, more so than any I can remember seeing. I almost wonder if it's a Clay-colored X Chipping hybrid. It is quite buffy on the breast and the median crown stripe is really defined. I wouldn't really call the the breast of this bird streaked. After clear-breasted sparrows (as adults) like Chipping, White-crowned and Golden-crowned lose their juvenile streaking on the underparts they often retain this shadowy quasi-streaked appearance on the breast. First-winter Golden-crowned Sparrows show this at least until their first spring.

I can't turn Phil's bird into a Chipping for a variety of reasons, most notably the absence of dark in the lores and the apparent yellow in the supraloral area.

Dave Irons