Date: 7/10/17 12:14 pm
From: Carol Joan Patterson <0000003a0ccbe138-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Protecting our birds
The following are issues that as a bird-lover matter to me very much.  I thought that they might matter to many ARBIRD participants too, so I thought I would share this, and give all a chance to sign the petitions or call their congressmen.  Sorry if you've already seen this email.

The Neotropical Migratory Bird Conservation Act

The Neotropical Migratory Bird Conservation Act (NMBCA) is a successful matching-grant program for migratory birds that results in crucial progress for birds like the Canada Warbler and to reverse declines of species such as the Cerulean Warbler, Long-billed Curlew, and Red Knot. This month, Sen. Ben Cardin and Reps. Ron Kind and Rob Wittman will introduce legislation to reauthorize the NMBCA in both the House and Senate. Please ask your elected officials to cosponsor the Neotropical Migratory Bird Conservation Act. The Federal Bird-Safe Building Act, H.R. 2542 Collisions with glass claim the lives ofhundreds of millions of birds in the United States each year.  Birds that have successfully flown thousands of miles on migration can then die in seconds when they collide with a pane of glass. Luckily, we have bird-friendly design strategies and technology that can make a difference now. Reps. Mike Quigley and Morgan Griffith have introduced the bipartisanFederal Bird-Safe Buildings Act to help prevent the deaths of millions of birds by including bird-safe building materials and design features in federal buildings. We anticipate similar legislation to be introduced in the U.S. Senate soon. Please ask your elected officials to cosponsor the Federal Bird-Safe Buildings Act. Saving America’s Pollinators Act, H.R. 3040 Reps. John Conyers and Earl Blumenauer have introduced the Saving America’s Pollinators Act of 2017, H.R. 3040, which  directs the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to suspend registration of a toxic group of pesticides called neonicotinoids that are causing serious damage to birds, bees, and aquatic life. ABC and a coalition of conservation organizations, beekeepers, scientists, and business leaderssupport this bill to require the EPA to suspend the four most toxic neonicotinoids until a comprehensive study of their effects on wildlife and people is completed.Please ask your Representative to cosponsor H.R. 3040, and ask your Senator to support introduction of a similar bill in the U.S. Senate. Albatross and Petrels Conservation Act The Agreement on the Conservation of Albatrosses and Petrels (ACAP) is a multilateral agreement that seeks to conserve albatrosses and petrels by coordinating international activity to mitigate known threats to their populations. The U.S. is a world leader in reducing accidental bycatch, and our participation in the agreement can encourage other nations to make similar progress. Rep. Alan Lowenthal is expected to soon reintroduce the Albatross and Petrels Conservation Act needed to implement ACAP. We anticipate a similar effort in the U.S. Senate.Please ask your elected officials to cosponsor the Albatross and Petrels Conservation Act.

Join us on Facebook!