Date: 7/8/17 9:35 am
From: Paul Guris <paulagics.com...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] 18-hour Cape May Overnight Pelagic Scheduled for Sun-Mon, Aug 13-14
We are running our annual trip out of Cape May, NJ to the deep (over 6,00')
waters beyond the edge of the Continental Shelf. The trip will leave at
10:30 PM and return at approximately 4:30 PM the next day. The cost is
$215 per person. We still need about 13 people to get the trip to sail.

Summer trips in the Mid-Atlantic at this time of year have found FEA'S
PETREL (once), HERALD/TRINDADE PETREL (once), BLACK-CAPPEP PETREL (multiple
times), BAND-RUMPED and LEACH'S STORM-PETRELS (most trips), WHITE-FACED
STORM-PETREL (multiple trips), SOUTH POLAR SKUA (multiple trips),
LONG-TAILED JAEGER (multiple trips), SABINE'S GULL (once), BRIDLED TERM
(multiple trips), and more regular species like CORY'S, GREAT, and
AUDUBON'S SHEARWATERS, WILSON'S STORM-PETREL, and RED-NECKED PHALAROPE.
Marine mammals are often found including SPERM WHALE, CUVIER'S BEAKED
WHALE, TRUE'S BEAKED WHALE, PILOT WHALE, RISSO'S DOLPHIN, and even STRIPED
DOLPHIN.

We will be aboard the 100' long ATLANTIC STAR sailing out of Wildwood
Crest. Our normal itinerary is to head out to the deep waters beyond the edge
of the Continental Shelf in the dark and set out a chum slick at or before
dawn. We will spend some time at first light scanning the storm-petrel
flock since this has been our best method for finding Band-rumped and
Leach's Storm-Petrels. When we're done covering the slick well we'll work
other areas until we head for home. For you state listers we expect to
remain in New Jersey waters which may end up overlapping with Delaware
waters since the two states use different systems of determining pelagic
boundaries.

Sleeping conditions are roughly camping style and the choice of sleeping
space will be determined by the order people signed up. People who sign up
early get first pick of where they wish to sleep. Sleeping bags and ground
pads are the way to go, and people will be sleeping on benches, the cabin
floor, and on the upper deck. We limit the number of participants so as
not to overcrowd the boat.

See Life Paulagics always provides friendly, helpful, and approachable
leaders for all of our trips. We use radios to get the word of any
sightings around the boat quickly. It is important to us to get the
participants on the birds and make sure they are comfortable with the IDs,
not just create a good trip list.

Be sure to check out our web site for information on how to sign up,
and to review
our policies. If you have any questions or need more information, please
feel free to contact us by e-mail or phone.

Hope to see you aboard!

-PAG
--

*Paul A. GurisSee Life PaulagicsPO Box 161Green Lane, PA
18054215-234-6805www.paulagics.com <http://www.paulagics.com>paulagics.com

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi