Date: 7/6/17 10:18 am
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: AOU: RIP RNDU.................sigh...
Here is a link to the proposals by the AOS and the comments regarding each proposal: http://checklist.aou.org/nacc/proposals/current_proposals.html

From: <obol-bounce...> [mailto:<obol-bounce...>] On Behalf Of Robert O'Brien
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 9:58 AM
To: Wayne Hoffman
Cc: obol

Whoops, I screwed up (again) & should have read the final rather than the proposed changes:

But this brings up another question I have. Does anyone know where the discussions on each proposal

can be found? I'm especially interested in the decision NOT to resplit Yellow-rumped Warbler.

As I understand it, the two forms interbreed in a contact zone in British Columbia. What about

the rampant interbreeding of Hermit and Townsend's Warblers recently described by Dave Irons

(see https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/#search/townsend%27s/15d108f1a9577237)

For consistency shouldn't they be lumped?

Here are the Proposals considered but not accepted by the committee as they impact US birds

recognition of Eugenes viridiceps as a species distinct from the newly circumscribed E. fulgens (Rivoli’s Hummingbird),

Tringa inornata as a species distinct from T. semipalmata (Willet),

Colaptes mexicanoides as a species distinct from C. auratus (Northern Flicker),

Vireo pusillus as a species distinct from V. bellii (Bell’s Vireo),

Certhia albescens as a species distinct from C. Americana (Brown Creeper),

Junco alticola as a species distinct from J. phaeonotus (Yellow-eyed Junco),

Oreothlypis ridgwayi as a species distinct from O. ruficapilla (Nashville Warbler),

And S. auduboni and S. goldmani as species distinct from S. coronata

(Yellow-rumped Warbler);

merger of Junco hyemalis (Dark-eyed Junco) with J. phaeonotus ,

and merger of Acanthis flammea (Common Redpoll) with A. hornemanni (Hoary Redpoll);

resurrection of the genus Steganopus for Phalaropus tricolor (Wilson’s Phalarope);

transfer of Bubulcus ibis (Cattle Egret) to Ardea ;

and modification of the English name of Aythya collaris Ring-necked Duck.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...> wrote:

Hi -

My just-completed reading of the new Checklist supplement indicates that the Committee declined the petition to change this name.

Wayne

On 7/6/2017 9:15:52 AM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:

In the first edition of his Field Guide to the Birds (1934) Roger Tory Peterson states under the Ring-necked Duck heading

"The name Ring-billed Duck would be more appropriate, as an examination at very close range is necessary

to be aware of the dull chestnut ring that encircles the neck."

I doubt he was the first to mention this.

Whenever I pointed out this duck to casual birding friends or acquaintances I would always mention this

bit of avian trivia. I really enjoyed that. But no more. Many decades later the AOU has done the deed.

I'm going to miss the Ring-necked Duck sorely.

See attached photo. The Oregon Zoo allows RTP's very close examination. I imagine hunters also had/have

the occasion for such an examination.

Bob OBrien Carver OR

Join us on Facebook!