Date: 7/6/17 9:34 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: AOU: RIP RNDU.................sigh...
Hi -

My just-completed reading of the new Checklist supplement indicates that the Committee declined the petition to change this name.

Wayne
On 7/6/2017 9:15:52 AM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
In the first edition of his Field Guide to the Birds (1934) Roger Tory Peterson states under the Ring-necked Duck heading

"The name Ring-billed Duck would be more appropriate, as an examination at very close range is necessary

to be aware of the dull chestnut ring that encircles the neck."

I doubt he was the first to mention this.

Whenever I pointed out this duck to casual birding friends or acquaintances I would always mention this

bit of avian trivia.  I really enjoyed that.  But no more.  Many decades later the AOU has done the deed.

I'm going to miss the Ring-necked Duck sorely.

See attached photo.  The Oregon Zoo allows RTP's very close examination.  I imagine hunters also had/have

the occasion for such an examination.

Bob OBrien  Carver OR

Join us on Facebook!