Date: 7/5/17 7:55 pm
From: Corey Lange <coreyjlange...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Ospreys in Illinois
As part of a project through the University of Illinois Springfield and the
Illinois DNR, I tracked all known Osprey nests within Illinois. In 2015 &
2016 there were 37 active Osprey nests across the state. I would expect
that number to be the same or slightly higher this year. Breeding Osprey
are making a comeback in Illinois, and besides their relatively small
population, suitable nesting locations appear to be a limiting factor.
Breeding Osprey have the densest population in the Chicago Region, and the
University of Illinois Springfield and the Illinois DNR are hacking
juvenile Osprey in central Illinois, in order to create/bolster a breeding
population there. I would like to encourage people to report Osprey nests
that they find to the Illinois DNR/Illinois Natural Heritage Database,
which tracks Osprey nests across the state (as well as all other threatened
and endangered species).

http://www.sj-r.com/news/20160708/osprey-chicks-from-virginia-introduced-to-central-illinois-in-translocation-project

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/conservation/naturalheritage/pages/naturalheritagedatabase.aspx

--