Date: 7/4/17 9:02 am
From: dan nick <dannick63...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET King Rail @ Bartel Grassland 7-2-17 (No sighting)
In regards to this King rail thing. This is why I stopped posting almost
three years ago. There are some pretentious blowhards out there who like to
throw around their expertise, or lack of it, in public, and belittle others
(so as to build up their own egos?). I had people, who assume they are
experts and others are not, *publicly* doubting whether I really saw what I
reported. I had people questioning whether I was trespassing on private
property. (???). My point is it that it is not fun to interact with
pretentious people and people who publicly demean others in order to boost
their own credentials in public (In politics this how you see who the
idiots are). I still read the posts to see if there is something I can use
but, IBET has lost my resources because of a few people who can't seem to
get past their own self-importance. How many other birders are lost to IBET
because some jerk *publicly* called them out for some perceived mistake
(WAH!).

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Chuck Berman <cberman129...> [ILbirds]
<ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> Everyone chant "Come back Henry. Come back Henry."
> Chuck Berman
> Oak Park
>
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 3:51 PM Whimbrel Birders Club
> <whimbrelbirders...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
> wrote:
>

>> I personally know Henry is a great birder and everyone makes mistakes
>> sometimes (including Steve B. For not contacting Henry directly). I hope
>> that when/if Steve B. sees this that he will realize that we have lost an
>> amazing birder because of his actions. And to Henry: you are a well
>> respected birder and an inspiration to many young birders (including
>> myself). I am sure that whole birding community wants you to come back.
>>
>> Although posting a state endangered species is unethical, EVERYONE makes
>> mistakes and Henry had no clue that King Rails are state endangered.
>>
>> Oliver Burrus
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>

>> On Jul 3, 2017, at 12:11 PM, Ms Sheryl DeVore <sheryl_1956...>
>> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>>

>> I appreciate reading Steve's and Keith's posts. I just want to say that
>> posting on IBET exactly where an endangered species is located is not
>> necessary for scientists who are looking for information -- you can report
>> that information directly to the scientists themselves. Maybe i can put
>> together a list sometime of some of those folks, for example, the head of
>> the Illinois Endangered Species Protection Board, etc., and hey, you've got
>> Steve's and Keith's emails right here.
>>
>> That might be beneficial information for all to have as well as the list
>> Steve included of all the T&E species in the state.
>>

>> All best
>>

>> Sheryl De Vore
>> Mundelein, Illinois
>> <sheryl_1956...>
>>

>> On Monday, July 3, 2017 11:19 AM, "'Mcmullen, Keith A CIV USARMY CEMVS
>> (US)' <Keith.A.Mcmullen...> [ILbirds]" <
>> <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>>

>> Steve,
>>
>> All valid points and thanks for sharing. I know you know, we can e-mail,
>> call, write, shout, however we wish to communicate and many folks still
>> won't get it. I know the T & E species in Illinois as part of my job as
>> well, but despite that, many of those on the list are safely observed and
>> even photographed by many birders without causing any harm. For example, I
>> don't plan on NOT telling people where LITTLE BLUE HERONS and SNOWY EGRETS
>> are foraging. I really don't have any intel on where they are nesting and
>> IF I did, yes, I would not post the location of the nests.
>>
>> I'm not disagreeing with anything you've stated, I'm just stating that if
>> ALL information about the location of these T & E species in Illinois is
>> withheld then how would researchers and avid birders like you and I even
>> know about them? Some information shouldn't be shared with some people, but
>> the great thing about IBET, eBIRD, and IBF (when we had it) is that news
> [...]

Join us on Facebook!