Date: 7/3/17 1:35 pm
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Yong comment - Marbled Gotwit at Brig
Damm, Kyle, I am sorry you missed the godwit.

I was so glad to read Larry Z's ebird report the next day. Reason ? What
good is a rare bird that only the finder see it and does not get passed on
or it turns out the bird was only a one day wonder ?

After I typed away the text alert with detailed location, I did baby sit the
bird in case anyone would actually pull over. Nope. Two cars just went by
including aSUV that a young birder was sitting in the back seat. I thought
about shouting at her and at her adult driver in the front seat so this
young girl could see the Gotwit. I did not as if I did, I may have come off
as some sort of nut job.

Kyle, I believe I saw you barreling down the dike drive trying to get to the
Godwit location, only if you were driving a small compact gray car (small
wagon type). Based on the hurry driving appearance with dust blowing in the
rear, I had a hunch the gray car was chasing the Godwit.

As this gray car parked by the railing and at the right location of the
Godwit, I just made the 90 turn and heading towards the dogleg. I was
driving a Honda Ridgeline and saw the gray car pull over and park. I had my
fingers across and assumed the birder in the gray car would find the godwit
(as long as it did not take flight). I even thought about doing the reverse
or walk back to make sure the Godwit was being passed onto the next birder.
Larry Z. only wrote about how he makes sure a rare bird he finds at Brig is
being passed on to the next birder. I wanted to do my part but it appears I
failed to do so.

As I mentioned in my report, the Godwit was roosting and hidden on the
ground at the grassland island. I initially thought the godwit was injured
as I have never seen a marbled gotwit roosting on the ground in the day
light.

Yong Kong
Camden County