Date: 7/3/17 12:28 pm
From: Stephen Johnson via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Cliff Swallow site access: Caution

Hi Birders,

I'm not sure where these boulders are. Yesterday I went down there and did not see any.

I parked in the publicly accessible lot on the S side of the road, that is Old Yates Ford Road, on the E side of the reservoir (Fairfax County side). From there I walked across to the N side of the road, to the gated parking lot. I walked down on the paved road on that side, to the boat put-in. I stood on the wooden dock there, N of the bridge, on the E side of the river. From there you can directly view 2-3 active Cliff Swallow nests, on the N side of the bridge.

Maybe the boulders are under the bridge, right next to the water. If you walk down to the river on the N side, you can avoid them.

The wooden dock is floating, and not completely stable underfoot. I don't think it rocks enough to shake your binoculars view. But from the stable ground on the shore, you can still get a decent view of the nests.

Cheers!

Steve Johnson
Fairfax, Virginia