Date: 7/2/17 12:14 pm
From: Gillian Greensite <gumtree...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Steamer Lane
Jim,

As a regular year round swimmer at Cowell’s I believe the Pigeon Guillemots that you saw, that are close to the cliffs are nesting on the cliff ledge and may be the ones dislocated from previous nesting sites near the Sea and Sand Inn. Those nesting sites are for the first time this year occupied by pigeons, dislocated from their nesting sites underneath the wharf due to the steel mesh installed to keep them out for possible water pollution ( fecal indicator bacteria) impacts.

I’m no expert by any stretch but I keep a keen eye out for the Guillemots every time I’m in the water and this is the first year I’ve seen them on the western edge of Cowell’s. At low tide they are very close to surfers but don’t appear disturbed by them, at least not yet.

Gillian
Westside Santa Cruz