Date: 6/27/17 4:09 pm
From: Paul Hamilton via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Peregrine Falcon Near 14th Street Bridge
While riding home from work on the Mount Vernon Trail on Friday, June 23, at
almost exactly 5:30 PM, I heard the unmistakable begging calls of a
peregrine falcon. I stopped and, following the sound, located a large
juvenile high in an adjacent tree, being fed by her mother. The tree is
located just north of the Metro span of the bridge and about 80 feet from
the trail. The prey was quite large - possibly a mallard duck or large gull.

After the meal was finished, the mother took off and circled the area giving
loud alarm calls. That was my cue to leave.

Does anyone know of a nest site in the area? There is an occupied osprey
nest on the nearby railway bridge, but no sign of falcon habitation.

Paul