Date: 5/19/17 8:20 am
From: coloradodipper via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Request Buteo ID Help - Arapahoe County
Hi Chris

The tail is much too long and the wings much too short for them to belong to a Broad-winged Hawk or any other buteo. The bird is certainly an accipiter, and the seemingly wavy tail banding is usually a feature of Northern Goshawk (as noted by others), but Cooper's Hawks can show this on occasion. However, the underparts streaking is fine and quite thin, which is fairly rare for Northern Goshawk, but fairly typical of Cooper's Hawk. The pictures do not show the undertail coverts (nearly always streaked on Gos, clean white on Coop), so they're no help here. My final clue on the bird would be the very length of the tail, as Cooper's Hawk has the longest, relative to overall size, tail of our three accipiters (Gos's tail is more like that of Sharp-shinned in proportion), so I would go with a one-year-old Cooper's. Such an ID would also make Occam happy, as Cooper's is the only expected accipiter at the location at that time of year.

Sincerely,

Tony

Tony Leukering
currently Guymon, OK

Request Buteo ID Help - Arapahoe County

chrisblakeslee <corvidcolo...>: May 18 04:28PM -0600

COBIRDERS,
This afternoon we had a very wet Buteo sitting in our cottonwood tree during the snow storm. I have some poor photos through glass and leaves and would appreciate any help anyone can give me.
We live just west of the Denver Tech Center in Centennial.
I think this bird is a light phase Broad-winged Hawk.

Correct? Incorrect?

Thanks very much, Chris

Chris A. Blakeslee
Centennial, Colorado
<CorvidColo...>

chrisblakeslee <corvidcolo...>: May 18 04:31PM -0600

COBIRDERS,
This afternoon we had a very wet Buteo sitting in our cottonwood tree during the snow storm. I have some poor photos through glass and leaves and would appreciate any help anyone can give me.
We live just west of the Denver Tech Center in Centennial.
I think this bird is a light phase Broad-winged Hawk.

Correct? Incorrect?

Thanks very much, Chris

Chris A. Blakeslee
Centennial, Colorado
<CorvidColo...>

Charles Hundertmark <chundertmark8...>: May 18 06:02PM -0600

The wavey tail pattern made me think of Northern Goshawk, a buteo-size accipiter.

Chuck Hundertmark

Back to top