Date: 5/14/17 11:25 am
From: James Morgan <jlmm...>
Subject: Re: FW: Falcon drone
I chuckle about being told the story about the remote control gull
effigy mounted on wheels (before drones for sure).
Probably created by Charlie Amlaner who was at U of A BISC (Walla Walla
College prior & Indiana State after)
Students nicknamed the creature "Frankengull". Probably from back in the 80s
It was used to harass the gulls at airports.

Cheers
Jim

On 5/14/2017 10:58 AM, Jeffrey Short wrote:

> First, Happy Mother’s Day to all those qualified.
>
> */[] Some background on the use of robotic birds to manage hazardous
> bird populations-/*
>
> *//*
>
> */Beginning in the early 1980’s, the South Korean Air Force was
> experimenting with effigy falcons that ran along a line across the
> airport infield. The target birds habituated to this threat and
> ignored it./*
>
> *//*
>
> */Later, small, remote-controlled aircraft were used to harass birds
> with longer-lasting results. (Remote-controlled boats were also
> experimented-with to keep birds off ponds.)/*
>
> *//*
>
> */The advent of autonomous drone technology combined with life-like
> effigies that can respond to chase birds like a real falcon might be
> the ticket: effective and affordable. Stay tuned./*
>
> *//*
>
> */This raises the question on how these robotic birds should be listed
> in eBird: ROBI?/*
>
> *//*
>
> */Jeff/*
>
> Check out the lifelike robotic falcon scaring birds off an airport
> runway
> <https://www.yahoo.com/news/check-lifelike-robotic-falcon-scaring-212302233.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma>
>

> Text Box:
>

> Check out the lifelike robotic falcon scaring birds off an airport
> runway
>
> Edmonton International Airport has become the first airport in the
> world to employ a fleet of robotic birds of p...

Join us on Facebook!