Date: 5/10/17 4:13 pm
From: Jacque Brown <bluebird2...>
Subject: Re: Black-capped Vireo
Lyndal, the weekend Davis Oakley, Mitchell Pruitt and I went there we saw 20 + Black-capped Vireos happily singing from the bushes. It is a challenge but I even got photos of a Female. We weren’t looking for warblers. Painted Buntings were throwing themselves at our feet. Jacque Brown, Centerton

> On May 10, 2017, at 5:14 PM, Lyndal York <lrbluejay...> wrote:
>
> Just returned from a search for my nemesis bird. Met Ken Dayer of Silver City, NM and formerly of Little Rock in Lawton, OK. Ten miles to the Wichita Mtns. NWR at the crack of dawn and up Elk Mt. ... really a big hill. The birds were not heard until it warmed a bit. On the first full day we saw or heard 7 Black-capped Vireos. Two lousy photos. On the second day we returned to a site identified on day one and were successful in getting a photo of the bird but nothing like the quality of a Mitchell Pruitt shot. We were able to find 4 birds down lower in the scrub oaks for a trip total of 11 BCVI. These birds are very reluctant to show themselves and photographing them is a real challenge.
>
> A few observations on the bird distribution. No Indigo Buntings but plenty of singing Painted Buntings. No White-eyed Vireos. A few Red-eyed Vireos in spite of being listed as R on the checklist. Mississippi Kites common. A few Red-tailed Hawks. No big warbler migration here. A couple of Yellow Warblers were found.
>
> Lyndal York
> Little Rock
>
> Buffalo, Prairie Dogs and Long-horned Cattle were in abundance.

Join us on Facebook!