Date: 5/8/17 10:56 pm
From: Dottie Boyles <ctboyles...>
Subject: Global Big Day - May 13, 2017
Saturday, May 13th marks the 3rd annual Global Big Day where you go birding
and enter your birds into eBird. The event sponsored by eBird and the
Cornell Lab of Ornithology was created as a way to engage a worldwide
network of birders to go out and count birds in support of global bird
conservation. In 2015 (the first year), more than 14,000 people in 135
countries submitted almost 45,000 checklists, featuring 6,085 species of
birds; all in a single day.

For those who like trivia here are some Arkansas results from the past two
years:
In 2015, 57 people participated resulting in 182 species. Out of Arkansas's
75 counties, only 24 reported activity.
In 2016, 72 people participated resulting in 175 species, with 36 counties
reporting.
Top 5 Counties for May 9, 2015:1. Benton
<http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-AR-007?yr=BIGDAY_2015a&m=&rank=lrec>
- 124 species; 2. Pulaski
<http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-AR-119?yr=BIGDAY_2015a&m=&rank=lrec>
- 109; 3. White
<http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-AR-145?yr=BIGDAY_2015a&m=&rank=lrec>
- 92; 4. Boone
<http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-AR-009?yr=BIGDAY_2015a&m=&rank=lrec>
- 85; 5. Garland
<http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-AR-051?yr=BIGDAY_2015a&m=&rank=lrec>
- 79.
Top 5 Counties for May 14, 2016: 1. Benton
<http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-AR-007?yr=BIGDAY_2016a&m=&rank=lrec>
- 125 species; 2. Pulaski
<http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-AR-119?yr=BIGDAY_2016a&m=&rank=lrec>
- 93; 3. White
<http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-AR-145?yr=BIGDAY_2016a&m=&rank=lrec>
- 83; 4. Baxter
<http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-AR-005?yr=BIGDAY_2016a&m=&rank=lrec>
- 77; 5. Scott
<http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-AR-127?yr=BIGDAY_2016a&m=&rank=lrec>
- 77.

Since many people will be birding this weekend during the AAS Spring meeting
at Mount Magazine, I thought I would include Logan County's count for the
past two years: 2015 - 9 species, and 2016 - 0 (Don must have been out of
town that day). I suspect those numbers will be blown out of the water this
year.

Out of all 50 states including the District of Columbia, Arkansas ranked #40
in 2015, but fell to #45 in 2016. :-(
Let's see if Arkansas birders can do better in 2017 and don't forget to
enter your checklists into eBird.
For more information visit eBird.org

Dottie Boyles
Little Rock