Date: 5/2/17 6:51 am
From: Eilish Palmer <0000018ca1a6d960-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Whoopers
I'm a lurker here, as I'm more wildlife photographer than birder. But above all, I am a conservationist. I was unaware of the presence of the Whooping Cranes until one of my fellow photographers posted photos of them a couple of weeks ago explaining he had been holding on to them for a while. Was there a split second where I wondered why I wasn't trusted enough to be told? Yes. But it was quickly replaced by happiness and relief that the welfare of the birds was put first. Because all too often that doesn't happen. Especially in the wildlife photography community. The sharing of wildlife locations has resulted in crowds of photographers showing up, some unethical who put getting good photos before the welfare of the animal. Up north, social media and eBird have made it easy to share locations of Great Gray and Snowy Owls. And that information has led to many unethical photographers showing up with store bought mice they use to bait the owls so they can get those flying straight at the camera shots. So if my not being told means other less ethical photographers aren't getting that information either, then I'm fine being left in the dark. Here is a link to a story about how sharing locations of birds, like GG owls, can have negative consequences. I'm proud to call Michael Furtman a friend. If you're on Facebook you should check out his page as he is leading the battle to stop the baiting of owls.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/03/13/owl-feeding-controversy-ruffles-feathers

Eilish Palmer
Lady with a Camera Photography

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 2, 2017, at 7:41 AM, David Ray <cardcards...> wrote:
>
> I think that this situation and all future situations like this could easily be avoided by the AG&F and the AAS by posting the message "THESE BIRDS ARE NOT TO BE PURSUED". This eliminates any question as to whether or not it is proper to search out the bird and leaves it in the hands of individuals and their own set of ethics whether to violate the request. I personally got from the original post that this was a non pursuit situation with these whoopers, especially when the location was specifically left out. Others evidently did not, which is what happens when things are left in gray areas instead of black and white. Am I upset I didn't see the birds? No. There will be others either here or somewhere else that are okay to be viewed with no questions asked.
> David Ray
> NLR
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 1, 2017, at 10:41 PM, David Starrett <StarrettDA...> wrote:
>>
>> Last weekend we attended the Lesser Prairie-Chicken Festival in Woodward, OK. Because of the significant loss of chickens, habitat and food source due to the wildfires in western KS and OK earlier this year, there is concern for the continued survival of this very range-limited species. While it was open to anyone, everyone in the bus who saw the chickens (we saw 10 males!) was asked to not pin the exact location in eBird but put in a general location. Over 8 days of the festival a few pins were put in but all followed the instructions. It seemed reasonable to us and I was glad to help keep the location unknown for the time being to help minimize risk to them. But, anyone could have signed up for the festival.
>>

>> Dave

>> David Starrett
>> Columbia, MO

Join us on Facebook!