Date: 5/1/17 1:09 pm
From: Ed Laster <elaster523...>
Subject: Re: Kite Watching and other birds.
More bird behavior-
I've always found it interesting that Rose-breasted Grosbeak have a difficult time landing in a feeder that larger birds easily manage. Many times I've watched them make numerous attempts to land then flutter around and land in a nearby tree. After awhile they always manage to get the technique figured out. But it has made me wonder if they are that unfamiliar with feeders.

I have also noticed that they are cautious, but it seems to be only initially. Yesterday a female RBGR and a female Cardinal squared off on a small seed tray and both challenged the other with open beaks. It then escalated to beak to beak combat with the RBGR winning the battle, for the moment, until the Red-bellied Woodpecker decided he wanted to sit there. Around my place, nobody tells him where to sit.

Ed Laster
Little Rock

Sent from my iPad

> On May 1, 2017, at 2:27 PM, Dottie Boyles <ctboyles...> wrote:
>
> On Sunday, Apr. 23, we had a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak come to the feeders. Well at least it made several attempts but between the squirrels, Brown-headed Cowbirds, and a Northern Cardinal fight, the poor bird would only get to stay a few seconds before being scared off. So our viewing time was very limited, the bird finally gave up and left. However, this weekend both male and female Rose-breasted Grosbeaks showed up, and both ate for long periods of time, in spite of squirrels, cardinal fights, and other goings on.
>
> Saturday, before the bands of rain started and while I was still on the ASCA field trip, Mom spotted a FOS Mississippi Kite that sat in the tree in the front yard for a while. No kite after I arrived home.
>
> After I took the trash out Sunday afternoon, Mom and I decided to sit in front of the garage and check out the bird activity. We hadn't been there long when she spotted the first Mississippi Kite way up in the sky, then a second, then a third. Over the course of an hour we know we saw at least five, because they were all in the sky at the same time, but there may have been more. The first birds were all soaring east to west in a straight line and at high altitude. The later birds were much lower and made wide circles going behind the house before reappearing in the front.
>
> We have some new neighbors and I know they must have thought we were weird, because every time we spotted a bird we would point towards the sky. The kites appeared to be having a great time soaring in the strong winds and we were having a great time kite watching.
>
> Dottie Boyles
> Little Rock

Join us on Facebook!