Date: 4/27/17 8:14 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - April 27
Bob Ross (CA), Diane Franco (CA), and I surveyed birds today at Red Slough
and found 98 species. It was partly cloudy, mild, and a bit windy. There
are two separate nesting rookeries on Pintail Lake. One contains just
Anhingas and the other has both Anhingas and Neotropic Cormorants. There is
also a night roost used by Cattle and Great Egrets. A large number of White
Ibis moved onto Red Slough today and are feeding in unit 27a. They may join
the night roost with the egrets. We are drawing down unit 27a and it is
providing good feeding grounds (the south half) for waders and shorebirds.
Should be perfect mudflats for the birding convention. Lots of gallinules
of both species, especially on Pintail Lake. The American Lotus has
experienced a major die-off on Lotus and Pintail lakes and has been replaced
by Fragrant Waterlily and Water Shield. This makes the gallinules a lot
easier to see as they don't emerge above the surface of the lake like the
lotus did. Here is our list for today:

Canada Geese - 4

Wood Duck - 9

American Wigeon - 2

Mallard - 1

Blue-winged Teal - 72

Northern Shoveler - 4

Hooded Merganser - 4 (one female had 9 small ducklings)

Ruddy Duck - 1

Pied-billed Grebe - 10

American White Pelican - 1

Neotropic Cormorant - 6 (2 pairs were nesting.)

Double-crested Cormorant - 3

Anhinga - 14 (several nesting.)

American Bittern - 1

Least Bittern - 1