Date: 4/21/17 7:04 am
From: Dorothy Paugh <aldopaugh...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Possible European Greenfinch?
I've never seen such bright yellow wing edges on a female goldfinch. I had no idea when I ran outside what species I had seen, only that it was not like anything I'd seen before. I've seen plenty of female goldfinches.

I only came up with European Greenfinch after googling "small birds with yellow wing edge" Later I added "in Maryland" and found a record of one, also in Bowie, in 2011, with a note of uncertainty by Phil Davis about whether it was wild or released/escaped.

The bird I saw looked just like pics of a male greenfinch in breeding plumage.

I'll keep an eye out and try to get a pic if it comes back.

Dorothy Paugh

Bowie, MD