Date: 4/21/17 7:04 am
From: Patricia Burden <tallerpat526...>
Subject: Re: [birders] May 13 NAMC
Russ and I have been communicating about this and my question is this.
Is the citizen science part of this going to fade away and will this
just become another day to promote birding? Not that I have anything
against promoting birding, but if there is no effort to Not have
territories that do not overlap and cover as much area as possible,
how can this information be relied on as far as population trends. I
used to promote the Great Backyard Bird Count in my newspaper column
and I had many readers bring me their count sheets. Some of these
people were quite elderly. Then all of a sudden, their counts were
not "countable" because they could not entered in ebird. I was not
allowed to enter them on their behalf without opening up all new
accounts for them and at the same time, I could not enter them on my
account as I had not been there while they counted. So I gave up
promoting this. How do you tell someone their data is not important
enough because they don't have a computer?

Pat Burden
Melvin & Yale, MI