Date: 4/21/17 12:20 am
From: RUSSELL EMMONS <birdeland...>
Subject: [birders] May 13 NAMC
Several of my regular participants in the annual St. Clair county NAMC have asked about this years count. I was sorry to inform them of the well said & comprehensive notification regards from Mike Petrucha & Jeff Buecking posted back in March on here. I've read Mike & Jeffs' summary and all the comments here by the other county compilers and I concur with all of them. I've held off making a comment waiting to hear if any thing else came up about it. It appears now that the "Global Big Day" is the successor to the 25 year old NAMC. I've been the St. Clair county NAMC compiler being assigned by Ray Adams since day one in 1992. I remember the early years NAMC was a joint venture of the "International Migratory Bird Day"/ "Partners in Flight"/ "Aves de La Americas" --partners primarily with South America.

A guy named Jim Staz (sp) was national coordinator for the USA. Some years into the project Jim disappeared--went "AWOL" and the NAMC was divorced /orphaned from the parent organization. Shortly thereafter Michigan Audubon took the Michigan counties under its' wing totally, & Jeff & Mike were appointed Michigan coordinators.

More recently I've noted the "Great Backyard Bird Count" has become now just a few glorified days of E-bird submissions rather then the original well designed comprehensive fun activity it was originally.

I note now Nat'l. Audubon has allied itself with Cornell on the Christmas Bird Counts and I wonder what then that may hold in store for CBCs?

I'm also concerned now with the present administration threatening--and making cuts to wildlife projects of all types how that may bode for the USFWS breeding bird surveys etc. ---Well I just received my assignment packet with forms maps, instructions for the 4 BBS routes we do every year so I assume we are OK at least for this year!

Russ Emmons (Compiler, St. Clair county MI NAMC)

Setting options from the command line is explained in the User Guide:

https://glc-lists.merit.edu/sympa/help/user User Guide
https://glc-lists.merit.edu/sympa/help/faquser FAQ

To search the archive and view jpeg images:
https://glc-lists.merit.edu/sympa/arc/birders

birders is hosted by the Great Lakes Information Network (GLIN):

http://www.glin.net

All views and opinions presented above are solely those
of the author or attributed source and do not necessarily
reflect those of GLIN or the Great Lakes Commission.