Date: 4/20/17 5:14 pm
From: Joe Roller <jroller9...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Rufous Hummingbird, Coal Creek Canyon, Boulder, CO
That's remarkable, Adam!
Thanks for your report of this EARLY Rufous Hummingbird -aka "The
Coppertone Devil" for its color and pugnacious behavior.

In a quick search of the eBird database, the ONLY other April Rufous Hummer
records were
from a private ranch in Prowers County, and those were in the last three
days of April! So Adam's bird is the earliest CO eBird record ever.

The RUHU, a classic midsummer, early fall, southbound migrant is RARE in
springtime Colorado, with only two previous eBird
records ever in Colorado for the entire month of May!

Although some birders don't seem to know Jack, Adam knows hummingbirds.
Many will fondly recall Adam Jack welcoming scads (that's a scientific
term)
of eager birders in October and November, 2014, to view a Magnificent
Hummingbird at his feeder in Coal Creek Canyon, Jefferson County.

Colorado Field Ornithologists chose to honor Adam (and his patient wife)
with its "Homeowner Appreciation Award," presented
on the rare occasion when a birder goes well out of the way to host birders
on private property.

Although one swallow does not a summer make, such an early hummer is not
hard to swallow. After all, "birds fly." and some just can't wait for
summer.

Joe Roller,
Denver