Date: 4/20/17 1:31 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Migrants arriving at Pleasant Creek: Warblers, Kingbirds, Wood Thrush, Forster's Terns
David Daniels and I both had the same idea this morning, arriving at the
Marion County farm where a Cattle Egret had been seen yesterday. Alas, it
was not to be found. This species seems to be a 1-day wonder most of the
time.

We did find 26 species there, the most noteworthy being:

Wood Duck--4
BLUE-WINGED TEAL--2
Killdeer--2
EASTERN KINGBIRD--1
Yellow Warbler--1

We then went down to the Upper Pleasant Creek wetlands, spending most of
our time up on the hill behind the blue gate at the first parking area.
Highlights:

Blue-winged Teal--1
LESSER SCAUP--1 drake
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER--1 hen
RUFFED GROUSE--1 heard drumming
Great Blue Heron--1 flyover
GREEN HERON--1
OSPREY--1 plunged into the wetlands, but did not catch any fish.
BALD EAGLE--1 apparent 4th-year bird. The body was brown, the head a dirty
white, and the tail grayish with a black terminal band.
EASTERN KINGBIRD--2
WHITE-EYED VIREO--8
Northern Rough-winged Swallow--1
Tree Swallow--7
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher--2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet--2
Brown Thrasher--2
BLUE-WINGED WARBLER--3
COMMON YELLOWTHROAT--3
YELLOW WARBLER--2
Yellow-rumped Warbler--1
PRAIRIE WARBLER-1

Then, along Pleasant Creek Road east of the railroad bridge, where some
heavy equipment was parked. We went into the woods on the north side of the
road, where many trees were marked, apparently to be logged.

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher--2
WOOD THRUSH--1
OVENBIRD--1
Yellow Warbler--1
YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER--2

A bit further east near Clemtown Road, David heard a NORTHERN PARULA, but I
didn't.

Doe Run Impoundment was completely flooded and part of the lake. David saw
a SPOTTED SANDPIPER as we arrived, but I didn't.

Mallard--4
Yellow-throated Warbler--1

Tygart Lake--south end:

HORNED GREBE--2. 1 was in full breeding plumage. The other must have been
partly leucistic, appearing to be almost all-white with no black cap and
just a smudge behind the eyes. Grayish upperparts.
FORSTER'S TERN--3. Apparently the same 3 birds seen on April 16 by Randy
Bodkins. Very distant at first; 1 perched on a log flotaing in the water
and other 2 in the water. Then they flew in typical buoyant tern style,
gradually getting closer and flying to north, then back south. Medium-sized
terns with long pointed wings. Looked very white on wings, both above and
below. Underparts whitish, upperparts very light gray. Black cap and nape.
Bill and feet looked orangish.

--
Terry Bronson
Morgantown, WV