Date: 4/19/17 1:41 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Newman Road & Plum Island - 04-19-17

David Moon and I first took our Joppa Flats Wednesday Morning Birding

program to Newbury's Newman Road and then on to Plum Island. The skies
were cloudy to partly cloudy, temps in the upper 40s, and winds
SE-S/10-20 mph. All in all, it was a pretty flat day birdwise. We had
a few "good" birds, but it was pretty quiet, especially on the island.

Our list for the morning:

Newman Road --
American Black Duck (~ 15)
Mallard (~ 8)
Blue-winged Teal (2) - pr. [thanks, Pete!]
Green-winged Teal (~ 12)
Great Blue Heron (1)
Greater Yellowlegs (3)
Mourning Dove
Downy Woodpecker (3)
Tufted Titmouse (3)
Red-winged Blackbird (~ 6)

Plum Island --
Canada Goose (~ 24)
Mute Swan (4) - n. refuge gatehouse, on marsh w. PI River.
American Black Duck (~ 6) - island almost devoid of black ducks.
Green-winged Teal (7) - 3 pr, 1 lone drake; small pannes.
Common Eider (~ 19) - seven ocean.
White-winged Scoter (3) - 1, one ocean; 2, seven ocean.
Black Scoter (~ 15) - one ocean.
Long-tailed Duck - common; one ocean & seven ocean.
Red-breasted Merganser (2) - pr, small pannes.
Wild Turkey (~ 9) - roadside, n. The Wardens.
Northern Gannet (1) - one ocean.
Double-crested Cormorant (3) - various.
Great Egret (4) - 3, South Marsh.
Turkey Vulture (1)
Osprey (2) - Pines platform.
[Red-tailed Hawk (1) - PI Tpk, w. Bob Lobster.]
Piping Plover (2) - one beach.
Killdeer (1) - heard.
Greater Yellowlegs (3) - small pannes.
Herring Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
American Kestrel (1) - fly over, South Marsh.
Eastern Phoebe (1) - DCR Bar Head parking lot.
American Crow
Common Raven (1) - over pines BFP blind.
Black-capped Chickadee (5) - Hellcat et al.
Red-breasted Nuthatch (1) - Hellcat parking lot at entrance to boardwalk.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1) - Hellcat parking lot at entrance to boardwalk.
American Robin (2) - Hellcat.
Northern Mockingbird (5) - various.
European Starling
Song Sparrow (1)
White-throated Sparrow (1) - heard.
Northern Cardinal (1) - heard.
Red-winged Blackbird - common.
Common Grackle - mostly in vicinity of refuge gatehouse.
Brown-headed Cowbird (5) - various.
Purple Finch (2) - singing; 1, pines e. Stage Island Pool; 1, DCR Bar
Head parking lot.
House Finch (3) - singing; 2, DCR Bar Head parking lot; 1, Hellcat
parking lot.
American Goldfinch (1) - Hellcat parking lot.

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!