Date: 4/19/17 9:11 am
From: Jack Swatt via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Scoville Resirvoir, Wolcott - Common Loon, Eastern Kingbird
The crisp morning air reminded me of hikes up north this morning.  Then I really had to look around and reorient myself when I heard a COMMON LOON call.  I was able to see it taking off from a cove, then it circled around twice, gaining altitude and then headed out, presumably for northern waters.Also, saw my first EASTERN KINGBIRD of the year, marked as rare by ebird.
Jack Swatt
Wolcott

Scoville Resirvoir, New Haven, Connecticut, US
Apr 19, 2017 7:55 AM - 9:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.2 mile(s)
31 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  10    Female actively building a nest in the leaves on one of the islands off the dike
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)  2
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa)  3
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  2
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola)  6
Common Loon (Gavia immer)  1
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  1
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  3
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)  1    clearly seen and heard. easily identified.  Black body and head, white underside.  White tipped tail.
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  7
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  3
Fish Crow (Corvus ossifragus)  2
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)  9
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  4
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  6
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea)  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula)  1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  12
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  1
Louisiana Waterthrush (Parkesia motacilla)  1
Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus)  1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  7
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  3
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  15
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  6
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater)  1
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  3
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)  1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36093381