Date: 4/18/17 4:01 pm
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [corvallis-birding] Herbert Farm (Corvallis) Shorebirds (incl. Solitary Sandpiper, Short-billed Dowitcher)
Hi Jacob (and all),

I can see how the second bird has a slightly more capped look and a dark
cheek patch, but - as others have already pointed out - it has all the
characteristics of a Least Sandpiper. Here is another picture of the bird
that shows the leg color a bit better: image
<https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/54977421?__hstc=60209138.02734e49f3a8a3890044851305094e10.1455990614958.1492545819335.1492555387416.2017&__hssc=60209138.8.1492555387416&__hsfp=1203295148>

Herbert Farm is a cool area, and who knows what all will show up there!

Happy birding

Hendrik

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Jacob Mathison <jacobmathison1...>
wrote:

> There's a peep behind the Least Sandpiper in your photo on eBird (
> ML54959341
> <https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/54959341?__hstc=60209138.2c4333759195d609a4c764f7936890ff.1487192464112.1492543457265.1492550283095.91&__hssc=60209138.1.1492550283095&__hsfp=2717996492>)
> that I'm pretty sure is a Semipalmated Sandpiper. It has a short bill,
> black legs, dark cap and cheeks, gray across its chest (shown better in
> ML54959611
> <https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/54959611?__hstc=60209138.2c4333759195d609a4c764f7936890ff.1487192464112.1492543457265.1492550283095.91&__hssc=60209138.1.1492550283095&__hsfp=2717996492>),
> and more brown on the back than Western Sandpiper, all of which point to
> Semipalmated Sandpiper.
>
> Jacob Mathison
> Corvallis, Oregon
> <jacobmathison1...>
> jacobmathison1.wixsite.com/nature-photography
>
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> At Herbert Farm south of Corvallis, I found the following shorebirds this
>> morning:
>>
>> 4 Killdeer, 139 Least Sandpipers, 2 Short-billed Dowitchers (flew off,
>> calling "tu tu tu"), 1 Solitary Sandpiper, 3 Lesser Yellowlegs, 35 Greater
>> Yellowlegs
>>
>> A lone Bank Swallow was circling the mudflats, and I heard a distant Sora.
>>
>> Happy Spring Migration
>>
>> Hendrik
>>
>> --
>> gid/corvallis-birding/CAHYa9mw6sH4tw_Q%2BC%3DJ6a8g-nowyaDUcM
>> <g8siNr2z2yww7BFvQ...>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/corvallis-birding/CAHYa9mw6sH4tw_Q%2BC%<3DJ6a8g-nowyaDUcMg8siNr2z2yww7BFvQ...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

Hendrik G. Herlyn