Date: 4/17/17 10:33 pm
From: BRUCE Bowman <brucebowman99...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Purple Finches - Ann Arbor

Describing the color of a male Purple Finch as raspberry purple is confusing since raspberry is the color often ascribed to male House Finches. I don't really know what raspberry purple is anyway. The House Finch is well described as raspberry red. Since the male Purple Finch is really not at all red, the ID based on color is easy. The fact that the Purple Finch isn't really purple either does not confuse matters. Regarding color of males of the two species I'd put it this way:

male House Finch -- red (any shade)

male Purple Finch - not red (by any stretch)