Date: 4/17/17 8:37 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island MA (17 Apr 2017) 68 Raptors

Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 1 1
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 4 4

Total: 68 711 753

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Mark Schoene, Paul M. Roberts, Ted Mara

Observers: Bob Secatore, David Goodine, Jack Miano, Jim Barton,
John Cannizzo, Judd Nathan, Kathryn Chihowski,
Paul Roberts, Tom Graham, Ursula Goodine

Visitors:
Visitors included Anina Butler, Andrea Cannizzo, Bert & Tessali Hogan, Mike
Cocorochio, Tom Wetmore, Will and Jean Martens, Julie Roberts, and many
others.

Weather:
A cold front passed through the region last night, bringing cooler temps
and strong W/NW winds. Excellent conditions for migration.

Raptor Observations:
Following a heavy afternoon kestrel and Merlin migration yesterday, and the
passage of a cold front, we expected continuing movement today. Movement
was not as heavy as we expected/hoped. 2 Broadwings seen, but well off
island to the west. Nonmigrant raptors included 8 TV, 4 OS, 3 Bald Eagle (1
ad, 2 imm), 2 NH, 1 CH, 3 RT, and 1 RL

Non-raptor Observations:
HUndreds of Tree Swallows and small numbers of Barn Swallows migrated in
morning. Two male and 2 female Purple Martins hanging around "gourds"
nesting condos. In afternoon 11 Glossy Ibis migrated low into a stiff wind.

Predictions:
Following a very unusual streak of favorable migration weather, we are
expecting at least four straight days of N/NE/E winds, including two days
of rain, and the possibility of 9-10 days of unfavorable weather.
Report submitted by Paul Roberts (<phawk254...>)
Plum Island MA information may be found at:
http://massbird.org/EMHW/

Join us on Facebook!