Date: 4/17/17 7:20 pm
From: Jon Woolf <jswoolf01...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] NH Audubon Spring Pelagic Birding Trip
Listfolk,

The weather is turning warmer, and migrants are on the wing ... so it
must be time to start thinking about NH Audubon's spring Pelagic Birding
Expedition. We've made one change this year: we'll be going out on
Monday June 12th, in hopes that going in mid-June will mean more summer
pelagic birds to find. Otherwise, the plan is pretty much the same as
in previous years:

WHAT: An all-day trip into the Gulf of Maine, looking for pelagic birds
(although we'll also check out any whales and other marine life that we
encounter). As always, we've chartered the whale-watching boat
/Granite State/ for this day of birding along Jeffreys Ledge and
wherever else the birds may lead us. Steve Mirick will be on the
microphone, and our hosts will be the highly skilled and experienced
Captain Pete Reynolds and his crew. We'll leave dockside at 8am and
stay at sea the whole day. We should return to Rye Harbor around 5pm.

WHEN: Monday, June 12th.

WHERE: Meet dockside at Rye Harbor at 7:30AM for an 8:00AM departure.

WHAT TO BRING: Binoculars, of course. A lunch if you want to. A digital
camera if you have one -- these trips often produce excellent photo
opportunities for both whales and birds. Weather on the open water is
unpredictable, so dress warm, in multiple layers in case you get too
warm and need to take off a layer. Certainly bring sunscreen, and
either sunglasses or a hat. Bring motion-sickness pills if you're
vulnerable to seasickness. /Granite State/'s seating is mostly wooden
benches, so a seat cushion is a good idea if you have trouble with
sitting on hard surfaces.

WHAT TO EXPECT: Hopefully, good weather and lots of interesting birds!
In past years, this spring trip has produced Northern Gannets, Wilson's
Storm-petrels, Great and Sooty shearwaters, Northern Fulmars, Red-necked
Phalaropes in breeding plumage (a rare sight indeed), a number of
migrants, and a number of near-shore species. We usually get good looks
at Common and Roseate Terns from the White/Seavey Island tern colony.
We've also gotten good looks at several whales of various species.

REGISTRATION: You must register in advance for this trip. We need a
minimum of 30 people to pay for the trip. We've set a maximum of 50 so
that the boat doesn't get too crowded. Cost is $70 for NH Audubon
members, $90 for non-members. Contact Massabesic Audubon Center (phone
603-668-2045, email <mac...>) to sign up. Contact either MAC
or me with any questions you might have. Please be certain that you
leave a phone number or email address where you can be contacted on
Sunday June 11th, in case we have to cancel due to weather.

To go with the trip, I will be holding a 1-hour workshop at Massabesic
Center on Saturday June 10th, as a basic introduction to the most common
pelagic birds and how to identify them. Since we generally see both
whales and birds on these trips, the workshop also includes information
on the common whales of the Gulf of Maine.

My thanks go out to all who have made these trips a success in past
years, and I hope to see you again this year ... along with as many new
faces as we can fit! :-)

-- Jon Woolf
Manchester, NH
(Massabesic Audubon Center Volunteer)