Date: 4/17/17 6:58 am
Subject: Re: [birders] Swan chasing a goose
hi, Jeffrey.
Unfortunately, this is not uncommon.  The swans must be nesting in the area and this is territorial behavior.  I see this every day with mute swans on my cove on Lake St. Clair. There are still geese nesting in the area (quite a few) but they are up where the swans can't reach them.  We still have about 10 Canada geese nests in the immediate area. Swans are awkward on land (especially rocky areas) and usually don't come out of the water.
I have even seen the Mute swans trying to drown the goslings, which their parents are helpless to prevent.Penny Swanson