Date: 4/16/17 11:31 am
From: Stephen Johnson <stevejohnson2...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Sully Woodlands Northern Shrike -- yes!

Hi Howard,

I was in that area one time years ago, with Charles Smith, biologist for Fairfax County. He told me that Sully Woodlands had the highest concentration of ticks they had measured, anywhere in the County. To measure it in any given location, they put down a square white cloth, wait for some definite period of time, pull it up off the ground, and count the ticks on the cloth. (My rough recollection, of what he told me.)

He said the lowest count was in the Huntley Meadows area, and highest was at Sully Woodlands.

I went into the lower meadow there once in May, where the stream crosses Pleasant Valley Road, and spent 15 minutes there before coming back out to the car. I picked 15 ticks off my pants and shirt sleeves during that time.

Steve Johnson
- only one tick attached in 2017, so far -
Fairfax, Virginia