Date: 4/15/17 7:20 pm
From: Steve Compton <scompton1251...>
Subject: Re: Weekend in South Carolina
Good for you. It was Frank Lawkins, the ever-present and always helpful
birder who lives near Huntington Beach SP.
Steve ComptonGreenville, SC
Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE DroidOn Apr 15, 2017 9:48 PM, Roger Moyer
<carolinabirds...> wrote:

I got off early from work Thursday school I hhave axed down to
Huntington Beach SP to begin the weekend. I started¬ early Friday
morning and wasn't disappointed. The target bird was the Painted
Bunting. Thanks to Frank (I don't remember a last name) he got me
and another gentleman on a nice male. There was a flock of Least
Terns feeding right near the causeway.¬ I hadn't seen them since
college in Nebraska back in the mid1980s.

I then went to Santee Costal Preserve.¬ Someone had suggested it
for migrants. There were a number of birds but mostly 2 billion¬
mosquitoes that aren't phased by 25% deet.¬
I found an active¬ Brown-headed Nuthatch raising a brood. That
was nice to see.

This morning started off trying to get some shots of Red-cockated
Woodpeckers. I had a family group of 4-5 birds but couldn't get
any good shots. The best bird today was IDed at 65 mph.¬ It was a
Swallow-tailed Kite about 5 miles east of McCellandville west of
Georgetown.¬

Tomorrow will start at Sandhills hoping for REd-cockated
Woodpecker and Bachman's Sparrow photos.

Cheers and good birding.

Roger Moyer
Concord, NC

Join us on Facebook!