Date: 4/15/17 6:59 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island MA (15 Apr 2017) 40 Raptors

Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 1 1
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 4 4

Total: 40 432 474

Observation start time: 06:30:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Bob Secatore, Ted Mara

Observers: Bob Secatore, David Goodine, Geoff Wood, John Cannizzo,
Kathryn Chihowski, Mark Schoene, Paul Roberts,
Ursula Goodine

Visitors:
Observers helping with the count included Anina Butler, Christopher
Godfrey, John Huestis, June, Mark Resendes, Rick Smulski, Steve Ross and
Tom Wetmore.

Weather:
Weather turned increasingly favorable during the morning as winds shifted
from E to SW and started gusting up to 20 mph. 5-22 C, Visibility 10 km, OC
0-100%.

Raptor Observations:
Not the potential flight we were hoping for as strong SW winds built.
Kestrel movement picked up on a "nickel & dime" basis while other species
decreased. Non-migrating raptors included 6 TVs, 4 OS, 2 ad BE, 2 NH, 3 RT
and 3 AK.

Non-raptor Observations:
Other birds included a flock of 33 Great Black-backed Gulls, 4 Blue Jays, a
pair of Purple Martins, and 26 Tree Swallows.

Predictions:
Tomorrow a warm front is forecast to push through the region, bringing 80 F
temps and 10-13 mph WSW winds, gusting to 25 mph. Seemingly great
conditions, but we don't know where the birds were today, as relatively few
were seen within 150 miles, especially the major species seen at Plum. Will
they arrive tomorrow, or on MOnday, when a cold front produces strong NW
winds?
Report submitted by Paul Roberts (<phawk254...>)
Plum Island MA information may be found at:
http://massbird.org/EMHW/

Join us on Facebook!