Date: 4/14/17 5:52 pm
From: MTopp7927 <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] N.W.Indiana 4/14 - E.C.Dove, Pectoral Sandpipers, Wilson's Snipe, Sanderlings
4/14
I checked a couple of spots this A.M. - Lakefront Park (Bird Sanctuary)
and Miller Beach.
Highlights include E.Collared Dove, Pectoral Sandpipers, Wilson's
Snipe, early Sanderlings.
and Broad-winged Hawks
Here are some highlights - Complete lists can be seen on e-bird.
* Photos I will post later
HAMMOND LAKEFRONT PARK (BIRD SANCTUARY):
(Mostly with Carolyn Marsh)
1-L.Scaup
36-R.B.Mergansers
2-Buffleheads
1-C.Loon
6-H.Grebes*
1-Cooper's Hawk
1-Caspian Tern
1-EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE (In parking lot on a wire)*
1-Y.B.Sapsucker
3-N.Flickers
8-Tree Swallows
5-Barn Swallows
8-G.C.Kinglets
2-R.C.Kinglets
4-Hermit Thrush
6-N.Juncos
1-Chipping Sp.
6-W.T.Sparrows
1-Swamp Sparrow
1-E.Towhee
40-R.W.Blackbirds
18-C.Grackles
16-B.H.Cowbirds

MILLER BEACH: (Also I walked into the woods - There was a wildfire
winding down.
A large portion was burned in the east section. It will be
interesting to see what
will nest there besides the ubiquitous Field Sparrows.
2-R.B.Mergansers
1-H.Grebe
4-Killdeer
2-SANDERLINGS (in basic plumage - Photos I will post later)*
2-Pectoral Sandippers (Flybys calling just offshore)
1-Wilson's Snipe (Flushed from edge of a small pond).
4-Caspian Terns
1-Belted Kingfisher
1-Y.B.Sapsucker
4-N.Flickers
1-Turkey Vulture
2-BROAD-WINGED Hawks
1-MERLIN
8-Sharp-shined Hawks (Migrants)
10-Tree Swallows
1-B.C.Chickadee
1-Tufted Titmouse
1-B.G.Gnatcatcher
6-G.C.Kinglets
3-R.C.Kinglets
1-Hermit Thrush
2-Brown Thrashers
1-Y.R.Warbler
1-Chipping Sparrow
14-Field Sparrows (mosly singings)
1-Fox Sparrow
1-N. Junco
1-Swamp Sparrow
1-Song Sparrow
25-R.W.Blackbirds
8-C.Grackles
4-B.H.Cowbirds

My Yard in Highland on 4/13
2-Wood Ducks (Pair)
1-G.Egret
1-R.T.Hawk
1-Turkey Vulture
2-Pectoral Sandpipers (In wet area behind my house)
1-Caspian Tern
1-A.Kestrel
1-Wild Turkey (Female)
2-Monk Parakeets (Loud flyovers)
1-Hermit Thrush
1-PURPLE FINCH (Female at my feeder) - Also there today (4/14).
1-Red-bellied W.P.
1-Y.B.Sapsucker
2-N.Flickers
1-G.C.Kinglet
8-Rusty Blackbirds (the swamp behind my house has some every year.)
2-B.C.Chickadees
1-Y.R.Warbler
4-Tree Sparrows
6-N.Juncos