Date: 4/14/17 4:39 pm
From: Richard Neubig <Richard.Neubig...>
Subject: [birders] Question re swainson's warbler - in Tennessee
Birders,

Just saw and heard my first swainson's warbler down in the Smoky Mountains but it didn't look just like the photos I've seen.

Most features were right on including the size, song, brown back, long sharp bill, and white belly. The only unexpected field marks were definite brown streaks down the flanks and some across the chest.

If anyone has experience with this species is this within the normal range of variation? Do swainson's warblers hybridize with any other species?

The other possibly odd thing was that it was singing from a very exposed perch over a creek when it is listed as being very skulky. It was singing from hidden locations for a while before going to the exposed branch so I'm not too concerned about that.

Thanks for any info people might have.

Rick

--
Richard Neubig, MD, PhD
Professor and Chair

Web: http://msu.edu/~rneubig
E-mail: <RNeubig...>
Ph: 517-353-7145
Fax: 517-353-8915

Progress is made by young scientists who carry out experiments that old scientists said wouldn't work. – Frank Westheimer