Date: 4/14/17 9:20 am
From: 'jovet' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Calvert Trumpeter Swan, 4/13
That is my understanding of what happens as well.

However, the Owensville Pond birds appear to be a pair (one larger, one smaller) and they have been seen together for a few years now. Of course, they may be actually be two different sized same gender, or possibly a Trumpeter and a Trumpling. I dunno. I hear they pair up on their wintering grounds, so even having a pair in our area is not indicative that they may stay and nest.

One item that may be of interest is that I saw a mated/breeding pair and their cygnets in Ohio last May. Wild-bred of their own choice, as opposed to the MD Zoo pair that apparently raised cygnets last year. Yes, Ohio's not Maryland, but it's not Ontario, either. I don't think that Ohio is a traditional breeding range for Trumpeter ... but I stand to be educated on this whole thing!

Also, the literature says that nesting usually begins in mid-April. So we are very near the "traditional" date. Of course, our MD swans don't seem to be "traditional" trumpeters.

While I suspect that these birds will do exactly as Marcy says and fly off to breeding grounds ... I am still fascinated. I'd like to at least get a handle on how many birds are actually here. It seemed like 4 at least this winter - a pair at SERC and a pair at Owensville seemed to be different pairs, but I don't think we ever were 100% certain.

Not sure if I should be hopeful they would breed here, as a large population of giant vegetation eating birds would not be the best thing for our marshes .... but still find this all "very interesting" (oh boy, saw a re-run of Laugh In last night ....)

Joanne

Joanne Howl, DVM
West River