Date: 4/13/17 8:27 am
From: Alice Elliott <alelliot...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Loon down
Sherri, that's so cool! Thanks for rescuing it and sharing your story!
(Kudos to the students for help, too!)

When I lived in Florida, I worked on boats a lot, and one time we found a
loon with a fish hook caught in its mouth and fishing line wrapped around
its bill. It made it easy to fish (pardon the pun) the bird out of the
water, because it couldn't open its bill, but once we cut the fishing wire,
all bets were off and we had to be really careful. One of my crew had a
pair of wire cutters on them, so we were able to cut the hook mostly out of
the way, but there was no hope of getting it all the way out. The poor bird
had to live the rest of its life with an accidental nose piercing.

Also, for anyone who is interested, Sherri's work is on exhibit
<http://stamps.umich.edu/news/sherri_smith_beyond_the_skies_at_art_environment_gallery>
in the Dana Natural Resource Building in downtown Ann Arbor...she's one of
the premiere textile and fabric artists in the country. They're beautiful
pieces, stop by and check them out for free!