Date: 4/12/17 4:08 pm
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Squirrel eats bird
squirrels are also champion egg-stealers, whether nest is on ground or in
tree...we need a couple good species of squirrel hawk

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 9:01 AM, <woodenapple...> <woodenapple...>
wrote:

> Obolists,
>
> Word of warning for the squeamish: The following isn't breakfast fare.
>
> Just a few minutes ago, around 8:30 a.m., while I was drinking my coffee
> and looking out into our N. Eugene/Santa Clara-area backyard, a
> Yellow-rumped Warbler struck our glass sliding door with enough force to
> kill itself on impact. Within a couple of minutes, before I had a chance to
> remove the remains, one of our resident red squirrels came up and inspected
> the dead bird. After just a couple of sniffs, it proceeded to consume the
> entire head with me watching from less than two meters away! I was curious
> how much of the bird the squirrel would eat but am unable to report this
> since it ran off with the rest of its prize.
>
> I've heard reports of squirrels consuming nestlings, but I'd never
> actually observed any carnivorous behavior until now. I don't know whether
> it's noteworthy that the behavior was as a scavenger rather than predatory.
>
> Rudi
> POST: Send your post to <obol...>

Harry Fuller
author of *Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA*, see:
https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/
author of *Freeway Birding*, see: *freewaybirding.com
<http://freewaybirding.com>*
birding website: http://www.towhee.net
my birding blog: atowhee.wordpress.com

Join us on Facebook!