Date: 4/12/17 10:02 am
From: Pamela Johnston <pamelaj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Squirrel eats bird
There is a movie about Juncos that showed in theaters a few years ago that included footage of a chipmunk (unknown species) taking a nestling. On the big screen, where the chipmunk's head was gigantic, it was more than surprising. That was the first I had heard of it.

Pamela JohnstonOn Apr 12, 2017 9:01 AM, <woodenapple...> wrote:

> Obolists,
>
> Word of warning for the squeamish: The following isn't breakfast fare.
>
> Just a few minutes ago, around 8:30 a.m., while I was drinking my coffee and looking out into our N. Eugene/Santa Clara-area backyard, a Yellow-rumped Warbler struck our glass sliding door with enough force to kill itself on impact. Within a couple of minutes, before I had a chance to remove the remains, one of our resident red squirrels came up and inspected the dead bird. After just a couple of sniffs, it proceeded to consume the entire head with me watching from less than two meters away! I was curious how much of the bird the squirrel would eat but am unable to report this since it ran off with the rest of its prize.
>
> I've heard reports of squirrels consuming nestlings, but I'd never actually observed any carnivorous behavior until now. I don't know whether it's noteworthy that the behavior was as a scavenger rather than predatory.
>
> Rudi
> POST: Send your post to <obol...>

<Iʋ-Wyb(N ӑABi0zX+bnNڭb0yb(ڭbnB{Zr٨uڶnf׫j+zX+

Join us on Facebook!