Date: 4/12/17 9:03 am
From: <woodenapple...> <woodenapple...>
Subject: [obol] Squirrel eats bird
Obolists,

Word of warning for the squeamish: The following isn't breakfast fare.

Just a few minutes ago, around 8:30 a.m., while I was drinking my coffee and looking out into our N. Eugene/Santa Clara-area backyard, a Yellow-rumped Warbler struck our glass sliding door with enough force to kill itself on impact. Within a couple of minutes, before I had a chance to remove the remains, one of our resident red squirrels came up and inspected the dead bird. After just a couple of sniffs, it proceeded to consume the entire head with me watching from less than two meters away! I was curious how much of the bird the squirrel would eat but am unable to report this since it ran off with the rest of its prize.

I've heard reports of squirrels consuming nestlings, but I'd never actually observed any carnivorous behavior until now. I don't know whether it's noteworthy that the behavior was as a scavenger rather than predatory.

Rudi
POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!