Date: 4/12/17 6:35 am
From: Joshua Spence <spencejoshua...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Cohutta Birding- 13 Red-breasted Nuthatches
I spent most of Tuesday in the Cohutta foothills(Murray County) along West Cowpen Rd. from Old Hwy 2 and FS 630. This route is about 7.5 miles long. I made several stops along the way. I guess the biggest surprise was the RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES. I had 13 in all, including four spots where there were pairs. At one stop I observed two males making advances at a female. She clearly was following one male from tree to tree and when the second male approached her she gave him the cold flank and flew off! 2016 was an irruption year so I'm assuming these are making their way back north, but I'll check back at these sites later in the season to see if any lingered. At the end of the route I had a single RED CROSSBILL fly over. Six First-of-the-year(FOTY) birds. Butterflies, only about ten species, but 2-3 Dreamy Duskywings. I found an area where there over 100 Bashful Wakerobins, most in bloom. I also observed a few Marsh Darners ovipositing eggs in a log. See: https://www.facebook.com/northgeorgianaturalist/

Below is the bird list from the day with highlights listed first:

Broad-winged Hawk - 3
RED-HEADED WOODPECKER
RED-EYED VIREO - FOTY, at least 10
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH - 13
White-breasted Nuthatch - 5, one carrying nest material
OVENBIRD -FOTY, 4
WORM-EATING WARBLER, FOTY - 5
Black-and-white Warbler - at least 10
Louisiana Waterthrush - 1
HOODED WARBLER - FOTY, 4
Pine Warbler - at least 20
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1
PRAIRIE WARBLER - FOTY, 1
Black-throated Green Warbler - at least 25, some fighting in a territorial manner
SCARLET TANAGER - FOTY, 5
RED CROSSBILL - 1 flyover

Red-shouldered Hawk - 1
Mourning Dove - 3