Date: 4/12/17 5:22 am
From: David Griffin <birdingnm...>
Subject: Re: [ia-bird] Harrison County 4.11.17
Paul (and all)

Regarding your comment about DeSoto NWR I checked out their website and
copied this pertinent info:

"Public Use
April 15-October 14:
DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) public use areas open April 15 each
year. The auto tour road will be open including portions that were closed
during the migration periods. Visitors will be able to hike the nature
trails, fish, boat, bird watch, etc. Canoes and kayaks are also a great way
to enjoy the spring at the refuge.

Fishing and boating is permitted at DeSoto beginning on April 15. Anglers
need either an Iowa or Nebraska license and are reminded that minimum
length limits and creel limits are in effect. Trailered boats can be
launched at Middle Boat Ramp; hand launch (only) is permitted at the
Bertrand Discovery area. Refer to the refuge regulations brochure for
fishing and boating regulations.

Mushroom gathering on the refuge for personal consumption only is permitted
in the open areas of the refuge from April 15 to October 14. See the
refuge regulations brochure, found at the entrance kiosks and visitor
center, for the map.

DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge offers excellent wildlife viewing
opportunities. A wide variety of migratory waterfowl, shorebirds, grassland
birds, neotropical migrants, mammals and many others can be seen at the
refuge. Look for wildlife from the DeSoto Visitor Center, from refuge roads
and while hiking refuge trails. You will find the largest concentrations of
migrating birds in the spring and fall."

Additionally, I believe the refuge had some planned Rx burns planned
recently, which could mean additional (temporary) closures.

DeSoto NWR website: https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Desoto/about.html

David Griffin
Muscatine

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 9:57 PM, Paul Roisen <roisenp1950...> wrote:

> Took an impromptu trip to Harrison County for a little exploration of
> areas I have not spent much time in. Nothing spectacular but found 7
> Wilson Snipe during a very brief run through the NWR--Sad is that they have
> almost everything closed off trails, viewing platforms, no mushroom hunting
> or fishing until April 15th. Nothing at the feeders and very few waterfowl.
>
> Did see see all the expected icterids including 1 Great-tailed Grackle and
> 3 Yellow-headed Blackbirds (2 group of the year for me). Ruby-crowned
> Kinglet and Rusty were new county birds.
>
> Generally it was not a very birding day except for numerous mixed flocks
> of blackbirds. Roy Lake had good numbers but only four species of
> shorebirds. Lots of edge and mud for shorebirds if the we do not get too
> much rain in the near future
>
> Fun day!
>
> God Bless,
>
> *Paul O. Roisen*
> *Woodbury County, IA*
> *Mobile 712-301-2817 <(712)%20301-2817>*
>
> --
> msgid/ia-bird/CAF5x8g5DrDnbAiW476bniQ41m80D%2BjRP1FP3dBVJOO1mZhrUOQ%
> 40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ia-bird/CAF5x8g5DrDnbAiW476bniQ41m80D%<2BjRP1FP3dBVJOO1mZhrUOQ...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

David