Date: 4/12/17 5:14 am
From: Jack Smiley <jackrsmiley...>
Subject: [birders] Pheasants in Detroit
Here’s a link to the TV story about Detroit Audubon's pheasant walk:
https://www.clickondetroit.com/uniquely-detroit/pheasants

From my limited observations, I believe the pheasant population is down
considerably from years ago. Back around 1980, I used to regularly see
huge flocks of 50 to 100 birds in the area near Eastern Market. Those
fields were lost when a Pepsi bottling plant, and other facilities, were
built in that area.

Another great area for pheasants used to be the Detroit Riverfront. That
open expanse of land has since been wasted with a lot of new condos and
other construction. Detroit lost a great opportunity to rival Chicago with
a significant waterfront park. Instead, we got a small ribbon of concrete
and people extol what a great riverwalk we have. So much for the Detroit
Riverfront "Conservancy". Unfortunately, Detroit continues to have no
vision.

At least, for the pheasants benefit, Detroit continues to neglect its
neighborhoods. I just don't think that that offsets the loss of some major
field habitats where pheasants used to be numerous.

By the way, the TV story is much nicer than my commentary. ; )

Jack Smiley

Setting options from the command line is explained in the User Guide:

https://glc-lists.merit.edu/sympa/help/user User Guide
https://glc-lists.merit.edu/sympa/help/faquser FAQ

To search the archive and view jpeg images:
https://glc-lists.merit.edu/sympa/arc/birders

birders is hosted by the Great Lakes Information Network (GLIN):

http://www.glin.net

All views and opinions presented above are solely those
of the author or attributed source and do not necessarily
reflect those of GLIN or the Great Lakes Commission.