Date: 4/11/17 4:25 pm
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest; Returning Osprey on nests
In the last few days a heavy influx of Pine Warblers and Louisiana
Warblers. I reported 9 Louisianas, and there are several traditional locations
that I haven't found them in so far.
I reported 30 Pine Warblers and that's a very conservative estimate. They
are singing in virtually every pine grove I visited today, in some cases so
many they seemed all around. Those would be just males and I don't know if
the females are back yet.
There is already an exceptional number of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers. I
counted 9 today, both males and females. I also found a black capped male in
almost exactly the same spot that I found one 2 or 3 years ago.
Surprisingly I've neither seen nor heard any sign of Yellow-rumps yet.
Only a few summer over but a large number usually pass through in the spring.

I now have a pair of Osprey at both Ashford and Eastford nest locations.
The 2nd Eastford bird arrived within the last day. In addition I spotted a
lone bird on the cell tower behind the Midway Restaurant on US Rt 44. I and
others have seen birds there before and since it is on a hill and not
particularly near any fish supply that I know of, I have no idea why the birds
are there. No sign of a nest on the cell tower.

Apr 11, 2017 8:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
32 species

Wood Duck 2
Turkey Vulture 3
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 Near site of last year's nest
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 12
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 9
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 2
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 20
Blue Jay 12
Common Raven 2
Tree Swallow 2
Black-capped Chickadee 20
Tufted Titmouse 15
White-breasted Nuthatch 4
Brown Creeper 3
Winter Wren 2
Golden-crowned Kinglet 2
Eastern Bluebird 2
American Robin 8
Louisiana Waterthrush 9 Conservative estimate. At least 2 F and 7
singing males. Very good number for so early in season
Pine Warbler 30 Many new arrivals, now singing in most expected
locations. The Yale forest is largely pine tracts and has very high numbers of
nesting Pine Warblers.
Chipping Sparrow 2
Dark-eyed Junco 2
Song Sparrow 1