Date: 4/11/17 3:56 pm
From: 'Derek and Jeannette Lovitch' via Maine birds <maine-birds...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Fw: Bradbury Mountain State Park (11 Apr 2017) 361 Raptors, BLACK VULTURE, and TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE!
Hi all,Incredible day today at The Brad! Highlights included another great hawk flight, 2 Sandhill Cranes, our first BLACK VULTURE of the season...and a first site record TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE!  Details with our extensive notes are posted on a blog, with the link embedded in the report below.-Derek

Bradbury Mountain State Park
Pownal, Maine, USA

| Daily Raptor Counts: Apr 11, 2017 |
| Species | Day's Count | Month Total | Season Total |
| Black Vulture | 1 | 1 | 1 |
| Turkey Vulture | 20 | 244 | 504 |
| Osprey | 56 | 153 | 153 |
| Bald Eagle | 0 | 22 | 57 |
| Northern Harrier | 40 | 125 | 129 |
| Sharp-shinned Hawk | 61 | 235 | 247 |
| Cooper's Hawk | 6 | 32 | 40 |
| Northern Goshawk | 0 | 3 | 5 |
| Red-shouldered Hawk | 15 | 66 | 114 |
| Broad-winged Hawk | 52 | 86 | 86 |
| Red-tailed Hawk | 2 | 70 | 132 |
| Rough-legged Hawk | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Golden Eagle | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| American Kestrel | 100 | 274 | 275 |
| Merlin | 7 | 20 | 21 |
| Peregrine Falcon | 1 | 1 | 2 |
| Unknown Accipiter | 0 | 3 | 3 |
| Unknown Buteo | 0 | 1 | 2 |
| Unknown Falcon | 0 | 1 | 1 |
| Unknown Eagle | 0 | 1 | 1 |
| Unknown Raptor | 0 | 8 | 12 |
| Total: | 361 | 1346 | 1785 |

| Observation start time: | 08:00:00 |
| Observation end time: | 16:00:00 |
| Total observation time: | 8 hours |
| Official Counter | Derek Lovitch, Jeannette Lovitch |
| Observers: | Don Thompson, Katrina Fenton, Rick Hartzell, Sea Mckeon, Zane Baker |

Visitors:
15 people visited the Hawkwatch today, with dozens more recreators andpicnicers stopping by to enjoy the fine weather.

Weather:
A lovely, warm, and downright summery day! A very light and variable windbecame a light to light-moderate southeasterly seabreeze in the afternoon.The calm and warm conditions, with significant haze towards the horizonmade for challenging scoping conditions and many birds were out in thedistance, especially early in the day.

Raptor Observations:
Local Bald Eagles were unusually scarce today, but local Red-tailed Hawksand a displaying Cooper's Hawk were seen on occasion. Scattered TurkeyVultures all day, both near and far, demonstrated why we cease countingthem on April 15th each year - it just becomes too hard to deciphermigrants from locals and commuters. As for the migrants, it was anotherday with birds in all directions - from specks in the scope towards thecoast, to kestrels shooting the gap and appearing overhead. Of course, the raptor (or honorary raptor, really) of the day was the BLACKVULTURE - our first of the season - that was over Hedgehog Mountain at11:13 am, and observed for over five minutes as it soared - occasionallyinterrupted by its spastic panicked flapping - and disappeared off to thenorth-northeast. Katrina scored some "documentation" shots.

Non-raptor Observations:
An excellent 51 species were seen and/or heard from the summit today,including numerous first-of-years. However, the real excitement was theTOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE that flew over us at 12:18pm. Unfortunately, photoswere not obtained, but extensive notes were written, discussion ensued, andwe carefully worked through every other possible species to confirm theidentification. I (Derek) have posted our complete notes here:https://mebirdingfieldnotes.wordpress.com/2017/04/11/townsends-solitaire-at-bradbury-mountain/
 Other species deemed migrating: 60 Double-crested Cormorants 59 Tree Swallows 13 European Starlings 12 Red-winged Blackbirds 11 unidentified blackbirds 8 Canada Geese 7 Northern Flickers 7 Brown-headed Cowbirds 4 Common Grackles 3 Common Mergansers 3 Great Blue Herons 3 Eastern Phoebes 3 Yellow-rumped Warblers (FOY) 2 SANDHILL CRANES 2 Barn Swallows 2 American Goldfinches 1 Killdeer 1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (FOY) 1 Belted Kingfisher 1 Purple Finch
Predictions:
A cold front will slowly sag southeast tonight, perhaps accompanied byembedded thunderstorms. The timing of the arrival of precipitation looksinteresting, and passerine observers might want to consider getting outearly in case there is a fallout! Unfortunately, this front is predictedto stall out, and a weak area of low pressure will travel along ittomorrow. Showers will be widespread throughout much of the day, but itdoesn't look like a complete wash-out. Especially if rain clears the areain the afternoon, remnants of the big flights of the last two days might beon the move. And who knows what might show up tomorrow?

Report submitted by Jeannette Lovitch (<freeportwildbird...>)
Bradbury Mountain State Park information may be found at: www.freeportwildbirdsupply.com/hawkwatch.asp