Date: 4/10/17 7:02 pm
From: Kearns, Amy <AKearns...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] GPFWA shorebirds, white-faced ibis, sedge wrens, bitterns
Gary Langell and I did a shorebird survey at Goose Pond FWA, Greene County, today. It was a beautiful day and the birding was excellent. We counted 1900 shorebirds of 11 species - highlights were 3 Wilson's phalaropes and 15 long-billed dowitchers. Pectoral sandpipers were the most numbers species with nearly 1000 counted.

We kept our eyes peeled for the plegadis ibis reported by GPFWA staff last week. While scanning for shorebirds along the south levee of MPW (MPW3), the 3 ibis flew into my scope view. They flew closer and landed in view for about 30-40 seconds of study before disappearing into the vegetation. We were able to ID all 3 as white-faced ibis based on their obvious pink facial skin (more details below).

Other highlights were singing sedge wrens and punk-er-lunking American bitterns in GP8. These added to the multiple singing Henslow's sparrows and winnowing Wilson's snipe in the unit made for a lovely soundscape - what a wonderful place Goose Pond FWA is!

A note about accessibility. The excellent shorebird habitat in GP1 is located in the far west side of the unit, requiring a hike of about a half mile to get there. BH3 also requires some hiking. However, many of the shorebirds in BH2 can be viewed after walking up on the levee right next to the parking lot, and shorebirds in the western part of MPW can be seen from pull offs along SR 59. GP11S also had plentiful shorebirds view-able right from the parking lot this evening.

Goose Pond FWA--Beehunter Marsh BH2, Greene, Indiana, US
Apr 10, 2017 7:59 AM - 9:22 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance = A, Water Level = L
28 species

Canada Goose 4
Mallard 11
Blue-winged Teal 56
Northern Shoveler 18
Green-winged Teal 66
Red-breasted Merganser 1
American White Pelican 1
Northern Harrier 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Black-necked Stilt 8 Exact count
Killdeer 7 Exact count
Dunlin 17 Exact count
Least Sandpiper 7 Exact count
Pectoral Sandpiper 249 Exact count
Wilson's Snipe 30 Exact count
Greater Yellowlegs 55 Exact count
Lesser Yellowlegs 139 Exact count
Downy Woodpecker 1
Carolina Chickadee 1
Brown Thrasher 2
Field Sparrow 4
White-crowned Sparrow 10
Savannah Sparrow 5
Song Sparrow 3
Swamp Sparrow 5
Red-winged Blackbird 35
Common Grackle 4
Brown-headed Cowbird 4

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35859528

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--Beehunter Marsh BH3, Greene, Indiana, US
Apr 10, 2017 9:23 AM - 10:14 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.3 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance = A, Water Level = N
25 species

Canada Goose 9
Mallard 4
Blue-winged Teal 64
Northern Shoveler 13
Green-winged Teal 20
American White Pelican 6
Turkey Vulture 5
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Black-necked Stilt 9 Exact count
Killdeer 3 Exact count
Dunlin 2 Exact count
Least Sandpiper 14 Exact count
Pectoral Sandpiper 64 Exact count
Wilson's Snipe 6 Exact count
Solitary Sandpiper 4 Exact count
Greater Yellowlegs 17 Exact count
Lesser Yellowlegs 50 Exact count
Tree Swallow 3
Barn Swallow 3
Carolina Wren 1
Field Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 6
Swamp Sparrow 6
Red-winged Blackbird 17
Common Grackle 8

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35860288

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP1, Greene, Indiana, US
Apr 10, 2017 11:21 AM - 12:34 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance = A, Water Level = L
34 species

Gadwall 2
Mallard 2
Blue-winged Teal 37
Northern Shoveler 18
Green-winged Teal 148
Double-crested Cormorant 2
American White Pelican 150
Osprey 1
Broad-winged Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Black-necked Stilt 16
Killdeer 2 Exact count
Dunlin 23 Exact count
Pectoral Sandpiper 9 Exact count
Long-billed Dowitcher 15 Exact count
Wilson's Snipe 40 Exact count
Wilson's Phalarope 1 Female. Exact count
Solitary Sandpiper 3 Exact count
Greater Yellowlegs 24 Exact count
Lesser Yellowlegs 59 Exact count
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 1
Warbling Vireo (Eastern) 1
Tree Swallow 3
Barn Swallow 2
American Robin 5
Henslow's Sparrow 1
Field Sparrow 4
Savannah Sparrow 4
Song Sparrow 3
Red-winged Blackbird 9
Eastern Meadowlark 2
Brown-headed Cowbird 2
American Goldfinch 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35860234

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP4, Greene, Indiana, US
Apr 10, 2017 1:00 PM - 1:06 PM
Protocol: Stationary
3 species

Red-winged Blackbird 15
Rusty Blackbird 1
Brown-headed Cowbird 15

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35860223

Goose Pond FWA--GP5N, Greene, Indiana, US
Apr 10, 2017 1:25 PM - 1:41 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance = A, Water Level = N
16 species

Gadwall 25
Blue-winged Teal 80
Northern Shoveler 6
Green-winged Teal 40
Lesser Scaup 3
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Northern Harrier 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 adult
American Coot 100
Black-necked Stilt 3 Exact count
Killdeer 4 Exact count
Greater Yellowlegs 6 Exact count
Lesser Yellowlegs 26 Exact count
Tree Swallow 5
Song Sparrow 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35860215

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--Main Pool West, Greene, Indiana, US
Apr 10, 2017 1:53 PM - 4:55 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance = A, Water Level = N
43 species

Canada Goose 21
Wood Duck 3
Gadwall 2
Mallard 18
Blue-winged Teal 262
Northern Shoveler 50
Green-winged Teal 85
Wild Turkey 1
Pied-billed Grebe 1
Double-crested Cormorant 140
American White Pelican 95
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 2
White-faced Ibis 3 3 Dark ibis with pink facial skin. One had wide white border around pink facial skin - alternate plumage. The other two had pink facial skin but no obvious white border. The view was brief, about 30 seconds and distant. Probably immature WFIB. Located in MPW3
Cooper's Hawk 1 imm
Bald Eagle 1
American Coot 1000
Black-necked Stilt 31 Exact count
Killdeer 4 Exact count
Dunlin 1 Exact count
Least Sandpiper 15 Exact count
Pectoral Sandpiper 594 Exact count
Wilson's Snipe 11 Exact count
Wilson's Phalarope 2 Exact count. One located in MPW3 and the other in MPW1
Solitary Sandpiper 3 Exact count
Greater Yellowlegs 58 Exact count
Lesser Yellowlegs 151 Exact count
Ring-billed Gull 6
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 2
Tree Swallow 25
Barn Swallow 4
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Chipping Sparrow 1
Field Sparrow 4
White-crowned Sparrow 2
Savannah Sparrow 5
Song Sparrow 4
Swamp Sparrow 2
Red-winged Blackbird 116
Eastern Meadowlark 4
American Goldfinch 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35860209

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP6W, Greene County, Indiana, US, Greene, Indiana, US
Apr 10, 2017 4:00 PM - 4:15 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: Disturbance = A, Water Level = N
4 species

Mallard 2
Blue-winged Teal 5
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Red-winged Blackbird 20

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35860198

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP8, Greene, Indiana, US
Apr 10, 2017 5:17 PM - 6:39 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)
27 species

Canada Goose 2
Mallard 25
Northern Bobwhite 2
American Bittern 3 Punk er lunk & got to watch two pumping
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 1
Northern Harrier 2
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Sora 2
Black-necked Stilt 2
Killdeer 1
Wilson's Snipe 4 Winnowing
Greater Yellowlegs 2
American Crow 2
Tree Swallow 100
Sedge Wren 2 Singing. Have recording. Ch ch ch chhhhhhh
Carolina Wren 1
American Robin 2
Henslow's Sparrow 20
Field Sparrow 3
White-crowned Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 4
Swamp Sparrow 10
Northern Cardinal 2
Red-winged Blackbird 50
Eastern Meadowlark 3
Brown-headed Cowbird 10
House Sparrow 10

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35858343

Goose Pond FWA--GP11S, Greene, Indiana, US
Apr 10, 2017 6:45 PM - 7:21 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: Water n disturbance a. From the parking lot
14 species

Canada Goose 4
Mallard 20
Blue-winged Teal 50
Northern Shoveler 25
Green-winged Teal 25
Pied-billed Grebe 4
American White Pelican 15
Red-tailed Hawk 1 Imm
Black-necked Stilt 8
Killdeer 6
Pectoral Sandpiper 78
Greater Yellowlegs 3
Lesser Yellowlegs 13
Red-winged Blackbird 25

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35859510

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Amy Kearns
Assistant Biologist
Indiana Division of Fish & Wildlife, Mitchell
<akearns...><https://exchweb.in.gov/OWA/redir.aspx?C=dfeb4a34626f41f8a683e536ae2a0ebc&URL=http%3a%2f%2fmc%2fcompose%3fto%<3dakearns...>
(812) 849-4586<tel:%28812%29%20849-4586>

Join us on Facebook!